Thursday 28 November 2019

As 2019 Draws to a Close...

It is the end of November and all my shows for 2019 have come and gone.  However, I couldn't leave 2019 behind without mentioning my favourite piece I have created this year.

It is called "Dogfight"



This piece is dedicated to the many pilots who fought in the First World War, those who have served as pilots in the past and those who do so today. 
The piece has been created using a 12" x 12" black tile, alcohol inks and hand cut and pierced mixed metals. The large green aircraft is the Sopwith Camel, ably flown by Biggles - the red aircraft, flown by The Red Baron. (Remember the Snoopy song?)
When I was a young girl my father gave me a book by W. E. Johns, which followed the adventures of a first world war fighter pilot by the name of James Bigglesworth (Biggles). I was hooked and continued to collect and read many more of these stories. My Father also took me to many Air Shows in our area and I became the number one fan of the RAF Formation Team (same team, different name when they changed aircraft.  Black Arrows in Hawker Hunters, Blue Diamonds in Lightnings and the Red Arrows in Foland Gnats). 
I joined the Royal Air Force myself later in life and am still thrilled to see an antique aircraft overhead.

As I look forward to Winter and the quiet of the snow surrounding the house, I have made a promise to spend a lot more time on my harps.  During the Summer months I find we are so busy with outside things and shows, they tend to be less played.  

However, I will continue to update this blog with ongoing happenings.  Have a safe winter and a very joyous holiday season.  See you all in 2020.