Thursday 9 June 2022

It's Showtime!!!




Summer is nearly here and I have been working on some new pieces for the upcoming shows.  


Firstly, I have to say that I have always been interested in embroidery and have done many pieces over the years, but none for my Artful Dragon Studio.  In January I discovered a new type of embroidery called Needle Painting - very detailed stitches that look just as if they have been painted.  


So, I decided I would like to create some butterflies as brooches.  It took quite a bit of practice, but it was certainly an interesting process.  First I wired the outline of the butterfly wings so that they could be shaped when the piece was cut out from the embroidery hoop.  That and the rest of the stitching takes anywhere between 12 and 15 hours.  


                                                                

I have really enjoyed this and plan to take it a little further during my down time this coming Winter.


Dragon Eyes

I have always had an interest in Dragons (hence the Studio name) and so have created Dragon Eye pendants this year.  


The eye is painted on the reverse, flat side of a glass cabochon and then I wire weave around the outside to hold it in place.  





The eye is then mounted on some Vegetable Tanned leather which I have cut, tooled and dyed.






I am in the process of creating earrings to match.  Watch this space!!!